Mar 31, 2008

Difference of Japanese and English Part1 (ver1.1)

1.Difference of word order

It is important for English sentences to arrange correctly.
If the word is replaced as it is,sentence doesn't work.

ex1-1)
I ate sushi at the restaurant on Friday. (Correct English,SVO)
→I sushi ate at the restaurant on Friday.(Incorrect English)
→I at the restaurant ate sushi on Friday.(Incorrect English)

If you want to change the word order, it should be reworded.

I eat Sushi at a restaurant.
→I ate sushi at the restaurant on Friday.
→On Friday I ate sushi at the restaurant.
→On Friday at the restaurant, I ate sushi.

---------
In many cases in Japanese sentences,The verb must be put on the last of sentence, but you may arrange other words as you like it.

ex1-2)
I    eat    Sushi at a restaurant. (SVO)
私は 食べます すしを レストランで (Literal translation,Incorrect Japanese)
→私はすしをレストランで食べます。(Correct Japanse)

I try to change the word order.

私はすしをレストランで食べます。
→すしを私はレストランで食べます。(Correct Japanse)
→すしをレストランで私は食べます。(Correct Japanse)
→レストランで私はすしを食べます。(Correct Japanse)
→レストランですしを私は食べます。(Correct Japanse)

格助詞(kakujoshi or Case-marking particle) is very important.There is not Kakujoshi in English.Kakujoshi are 'は'、'を'、'で' in this sentence,and Kakujoshi is put on behind a noun.

But,when Kakujoshi is used by mistake,sentence become a strange Japanese.

ex1-3)
私は 金曜日に レストランで すしを 食べました。(Correct Japanse)
I ate Sushi at restaurant on Friday.(Correct English)


私を 金曜日に レストランで すしが 食べました。(Strange Japanse)
Sushi ate me at restaurant on Friday.(what!?)

私が 金曜日を レストランで すしに 食べました。(Strange Japanse)
I ate Friday at restaurant on Sushi.(!!!!????)

No comments: